Monday, October 22, 2012

Respect

   Everywhere I seem to look people tell wives to tell their husband they respect them.  I have such a hard time with this.  I have little trouble with my actions.  I find it easy to alarmingly easy to reverence my husband when I put my mind to it, and am learning it submit with joy.  But how do I tell him I respect him?  Just say out of the blue, "I respect you because you change dirty diapers."?  It is so awkward.  I've tried it.  
   I have asked him what the best way for me to tell him I respect him is, and he just laughs and says I tell him with actions and submission.  But I want to do more!  This seems to be important for our husbands egos and a big deal. It's an even bigger deal for someone who can't get her words to go from her brain to her mouth without a mix-up.
   I can verbally praise my husband, thank him, brag about him, but the moment I open my mouth to voice my respect, my brain thinks, "This is stupid!".  How often have you heard someone say they respect someone to their face?  We say we respect someone's decision, or their property, but I don't think I have ever heard someone say "I respect you because you..."
   I am learning though.  I have found that it is easier for me to say things like, "I respect you as a man because of  your hardwork and persistence without frustration.", "I respect you as a father because of the time you spend with the kids." or "I respect you as a hunter because of your ethics.".  This is working so far. I have seen no sign that my husband enjoys hearing these things, or that they make him want to take on the world, like the books say.  But I'm working toward that place where I can say "I respect you." and mean it with my entire heart without a shudder of awkwardness.
   I do respect my husband!  I trust him completely and esteem him above any other person, I'm just working on telling him that.

No comments:

Post a Comment